• Welcome, friend we haven't met yet, to our slice of roleplay paradise.
    Feel free to look around, browse a bit. To join the community, register now!

PG-16 The Runaway (NaeTheNerd & Azathoth)

NaeTheNerd

Teller of Stories, Singer of Songs.
Elvwae nodded. She had grown accustomed to the dirt and grime which covered her, but the idea of a bath and clean clothes sounded nice. She had been simply dipping herself in rivers since she had left and, as the cold weather had set in, she had begun to avoid doing even that.

Azathoth

Quasi-dimensional Cotton Candy Eater
Donator
Zenith nodded and motioned for her to follow him, and he led her back towards the living room, but stopped short and opened a side door. Inside was a water pump adorned with a red gem at the base, a large basin sat near it, and a few cloths sat beside the basin. "The pump has a heating enchantment fixed into the gem, so the water will be warm when it comes out." He walked in and moved the basin under the pump, "Just pump it a few times to get the water flowing, and just flip this lever when it's full enough for you." He showed her the lever in question.
"You can leave your clothes in the corner there, and I'll leave the clothes I'll bring outside the door." He gave her a smile, "Take as much time as you need, I'll be ready when you are." And with that he walked out and closed the door behind him.
After that he made his way back to his room, and went to the wardrobe, opening the bottom drawers he searched for some clothes that would fit her. He found a set that would work, but it was more tailored towards a boy than a girl, but it'd do.
Taking the clothes he walked back and set them outside the door. He walked back and stopped for a second, his body spasmed for moment, the runic scars swirling across his body and his nose began to drip.
He breathed raggedly and worked go still himself, it took a moment but he was able to gain control over his body and he wipes his nose, and slowly walked to his room to change clothes, his body sore, and his mind drifting to the purge he'd have to go through by the end of the day.

NaeTheNerd

Elvwae waited until Zenith had left and began to run the bath. She grabbed one of the cloths and hopped in, loose dirt coming off and into the water as she did. As she sat in the tub, she was mentally transported back in time. She hadn't had a proper bath since she had left, and for a split second that felt far longer, she was back there. She gulped and took a few shaky breaths before beginning to scrub herself clean.

When she was done, she got out and patted herself dry with another cloth before cautiously opening the door to grab the clothes that had been left just outside it. She got dressed, relishing in the crisp cleaness of the clothes and went off in search of Zenith.

Azathoth

Donator
Zenith got changed into his usual daily apparel, and went and grabbed his gladius from the kitchen, then affixed it and its sheath to his belt, better to be safe than sorry any day. After that he went back to his workshop for a moment, and put the plants back in their spots, and made sure to water them before he left. Then he went back to the living room and picked back up the stick he had been carving, it was nearly smooth enough, he just had to grab some tools in town to finish it up, but he felt it would look good once finished.
He heard the bathroom door open once, then close, then a few moments it opened again and he heard the small footsteps of Elvwae as she approached. He smiled as he saw her, got up and nodded, "I hope the clothes fit okay, sorry, it's all i ha on hand" he rubbed the back of his head. "But, i'm ready to go if you are." He said as he gestured for her to follow him, "Towns not to far away, and we can grab some food while we're out." then as promised, he handed the bag with the medicine in it to her. He opened the door and stepped out into the winter sun, luckily it wasn't as frigid morning as it had been, after she stepped out he closed and locked the door behind them.

NaeTheNerd

Elvwae grinned as she grabbed the bag. Having seen the medicine made, she was eager to now see it delivered. As she followed Zenith out the door, she began making plans in her mind. After this, she told herself, she would have to leave. She had hardly escaped the guards at the previous town. She knew they were right on her tail and she had to move quickly. Her smile dampened a bit and her brow furrowed. Zenith had been the first person to be kind to her even when she was stealing from him. What's more, there was now a new and amazing form of magic she ached to know and see more of. She held the medicine bag up close to her chest. Was going into town even a good idea? What if someone saw her? slowly, she halted her movements and began to lag behind as these thoughts swam through her mind.

Azathoth

Donator
Zenith walked for a moment before he heard Elvwae's steps slow to a stop behind him, he stopped and turned and saw her face looking downtrodden and worried. He walked over and crouched in front of her a concerned expression on his face. "What's the matter, something bothering you?" He asked softly, "You look worried, what's wrong?"
He hoped something hadn't happened and she had changed her mind, he had liked the enthusiasm when she had asked to go in the first place. What a troubled girl, darkness clings to her as much as you. He quelled the thoughts and kept his concerned expression as he waited for a reply.

NaeTheNerd

Elvwae kept her eyes downcast, avoiding eye contact with Zenith. Her small fists tightened around the handle of the bag as she mumbled. "What if they're not as nice as you? What if they don't like me?"

Azathoth

Donator
Zenith had to blink at that, then he gave a small sigh and a small smile at her. "It'll be fine, I know things aren't the best around the kingdom, but I do know the people here well enough," he stood up again and held out his hand, "Just stick close and you shouldn't have to worry to much. And if someone does say anything, they'll have to answer to me."
He patted the gladius strapped to his side, "I don't carry this for show."
He got a devious grin on his face, "And if we are lucky, Mrs.Jones will have some fresh bread for us."
He did worry however, patrols of crown guard had increased, and they had been grabbing people who looked even slightly suspicious. He looked down to Elvwae, she was different that was for sure, and that could draw attention, he'd make sure she didn't get grabbed though, she had enough pain in her eyes as it was.

NaeTheNerd

As it always did these days, the hope of food instantly caused elvwae to salivate and her stomach to rumble loudly. Hesitantly, she nodded, moving in closer to Zenith.
After this, she told herself, she would have to leave. She couldn't stay much longer and while for now she trusted Zenith to protect her, the voice in her mind reminded her that that could change in an instant.

As they walked, she kept an eye on the people around her. There seemed to be a guard every five minutes. Some, elvwae realised with slight panic, were ones she recognized. She needed to leave, and soon. But... she still wanted to see the medicine delivered to the toddler, and besides, all her stuff was still back at Zenith's home.

Azathoth

Donator
Zenith gave a small smile as she followed him, and once he had turned to walk with her, he turned his head just a smidge, and scowled deeply. Whoever she was running from, whoever had made her distrust everyone? He'd have a thing or two to say to them, maybe even at the tip of his sword. Maybe he'd even feed them to.... He had to force down that segment of thought, no, never again.
For now he contented himself with walking with her to deliver the medicine, he did however notice all the crowns guard around, and he chewed the inside of his cheek in frustration at them being there, he saw a few gazes being drawn as they passed, and Zenith moved to position himself in front of her, while making it obvious that they'd regret trying something, whether it worked or not would be seen.
Soon they found themselves in town, only stopped once by a friendly local who made a request to Zenith for a poultice for their horse, which had a bad cut. He told them he'd get back to them as soon as he could. That out of the way, they found their way to the Jones's and after knocking, a young woman answered the door, blonde hair pulled back into a bun, and a rather plain brown outfit. She smiled at the sight of Zenith, "Mr.Mercury, how great to see you," then she spied Elvwae standing near Zenith, crouching down she addressed her, "And who might you be?"
Zenith coughed, "If it's all the same, it would be better to answer that inside, to many prying ears." He tilted his eyes in the direction of some crowns guard walking down the road nearby.
Mrs. Jones stood back up and catching Zenith's meaning nodded and gestured for them to come inside, "Of course. Come on in, I'll get some tea started." Following them in and closing the door, she raised an eyebrow at Zenith. To which he shook his head, "The less you know the better. I have a feeling I'm going to need to move soon" he added a mental again to the end, as this wasn't the first time, and certainly wouldn't be the last.
Mrs. Jones nodded casually and moved further into the house, "I take it you'll let Alvin know?" She said tossing a look over her shoulder, to which Zenith nodded, which got him a nod in response before she headed into the kitchen. Zenith sighed heavily before finding a seat and gesturing for Elvwae to take her own.

NaeTheNerd

Elvwae moved backward and further behind Zenith as the woman crouched to address her. She gripped the bag tightly as she listened to the pair's discussion, following Zenith inside. She stood anxiously in the walkway as the adults continued to talk until Zenith gestured for her to sit. She sat on the couch next to him, still looking downwards and remaining silent, her hands clasped tightly around the handle of the bag.

Azathoth

Donator
Zenith looked over to Elvwae and gave a smile, "Its alright, Mrs.Jones and her husband are good people and the closest friends i have in this town." Hr told her before reaching over and softly tussling her hair, "I promise, as long as I'm near you, nothing will hurt you. Not as long as I draw breath."
He looked over again as Mrs. Jones brought in a plate of biscuits and some drinks that qualified as tea.
"Enough of that you," she said, "For now enjoy the biscuits and tea." She then looked to Elvwae and smiled, "And I see you have something for me, don't you?"

Azathoth

Donator
Mrs. Jones crouched down and gingerly accepted the bag from Elvwae. "Thank you for the delivery." She said with a smile, then standing up, "Would you like to see the baby and help with the treatment?" Zenith was smiling, he trusted Mrs. Jones to administer the medicine, as it wasn't the first time the baby had had trouble. He reached out and plucked a biscuit from the plate, taking a bite he sighed as the warm biscuit melted in his mouth.

NaeTheNerd

Elvwae's eyes lit up at the suggestion. She had never seen a young child before, and an unfamiliar yet exciting new curiosity had been burning within her ever since she watched the creation of the medicine. Thoughts of needing to leave were far from her mind as, for once, she had only the concerns of a small, curious child. Still shy, however, she continued to stay close to Zenith.
As these thoughts and emotions ran their course, the conversation was interrupted by a sharp rapping at the front door.

Azathoth

Donator
Zenith froze as he heard the rapping at the front door. Every muscle in his body was suddenly tense, and he held up a finger to Elvwae and Mrs.Johnson. As deft as a cat he stood up silently and walked to the door, he rested a hand on the hilt of his sword. He waved to the two of them, motioning for them to go into the other room.
Turning back around, he opened the door only enough to position his body in the opening to block view. "Hello, can I help you?"
He readied his body to move in case he was attacked, and made it as hard as possible for them to barge in.
He felt the runes on his skin squirm underneath his skin, but they luckily didn't glow.

NaeTheNerd

At the door stood not a member of the Royal Guard but a sturdily built drow man. From his attire to the way he held himself, it was clear this man was used to the finer things in life. In his hand, he held a rolled up piece of parchment at the ready. His eyes scanned Zenith, noting his tension and the hand at the hilt of his sword, and gave a friendly smile.
"Relax, friend. I simply need to ask you some questions. May I come inside?"

Elvwae didn't have to be told to hide. No sooner than the knocking had begun, than she had scampered like a frightened mouse around the corner where she stayed and listened to the interaction. Then she heard him speak, a horribly familiar voice. This was one of her mother's staff. If he were to come in, he would surely recognise her. She held her head as she once again heard the taunting voice within.

'They've got you now, child. There's nowhere to run.'